J Hamilton Stutt (far Left)
Pre 1971 J Hamilton Stutt was one of founding members of the British Association of Golf Course Architects (BAGCA) – the others were C. K Cotton (1887-1974), and Fred W Hawtree (1916 - 2000). In March 1971 the first annual meeting of BAGCA took place and the three founder members were recognised for their pioneering work.
Hamilton was educated at Glasgow Academy and St Andrews University, where he studied mathematics and botany. He represented the university at both golf and tennis.
He was the son of John R Stutt (1897 – 1990), the builder of many courses designed by James Braid, and as a boy accompanied his father to several golf construction sites.
After service with the RAF in World War II, he entered his father’s business and also began studying civil engineering and surveying at Strathclyde University. Over the next fifteen years he constructed golf courses with many clients. Several of them were designed by the golf course architects Mackenzie Ross (partner of Tom Simpson) and John Morrison (partner of Harry Colt).
There is no doubt that these outstanding architects informed Hamilton’s future work. Great emphasis in Hamilton Stutt’s designs is placed on making the best use of existing natural features. This preserves the landscape and also greatly reduces construction costs.
In the 1960s he gave up the family construction business so that he could devote all his time to golf course architecture. He spoke French, German, Spanish and Norwegian and worked on more than 120 projects in Europe, Scandinavia and the Middle East. Among the favourites are Turnberry – Ailsa Course (with Mackenzie Ross), St Mellion Old, Meon Valley and Woodbury Park, Exeter.
... in 1996 awarded Hamilton Stutt a Silver Medal for his “outstanding services to golf architecture and golf”.
Hamilton Stutt was Chairman of BAGCA in 1975 and President in 1980. By the 1990s BAGCA had become the British Institute of Golf Course Architects (BIGCA) and in 1996 awarded Hamilton Stutt a Silver Medal for his “outstanding services to golf architecture and golf”.
He was a member of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews and president of Parkstone Golf Club. His publications include “Restoration of Derelict Land for Golf” for the Golf Development Council. He was for many years on the board of the Sports Turf Research Institute (STRI) and is a past president of the British & International Golf Greenkeepers Association (BIGGA).
Honorary Member and EIGCA Fellow, J Hamilton Stutt, died peacefully at home aged 83 years on 7th October 2008. He was survived by his wife, Berit, two sons, Ian and Colin, and five grandchildren.
The photo shows Hamilton (far left) receiving his Silver Medal for “outstanding services to golf architecture and golf” from BIGCA